about us
become a member
Your Options
Log Out

What can I do for daily workplace representation if I resign from my union?

Since the Janus v. AFSCME ruling in June 2018, many public school teachers have asked us what their daily life would be like if they resigned from the teachers’ union. Here are three important things to note:

1. Under current state law, your union is still required to represent you.

Under the Public Employe Relations Act and the Public School Code, a teachers’ union such as the PSEA or AFT-PA is the “exclusive bargaining representative” of all teachers in a district or public education workplace. That means the union is the only official mediator on labor contract issues for all workers in a bargaining unit that it represents. Before Janus, that included agency fee payers, who were non-members of the union. Now, because no non-member is required to pay a fee, it simply includes all teachers, union and non-union alike. The union remains your representative and legally cannot discriminate against you on the basis of your status as a nonmember.

2. You can join a professional teachers’ group such as the Association of American Educators or the Keystone Teachers Association.

Teachers who are not interested in joining a union can still get liability insurance, grievance representation, and other educator support through non-union professional organizations such as the American Association of Educators (AAE) or the Keystone Teachers Association (KEYTA). 

AAE and KEYTA have provided discount codes to Free to Teach members for your first year of membership. Please contact us at info@FreeToTeach.org if you are interested in learning more.

3. If you are not satisfied with your union representation, you and other teachers could change it.

School districts that have local, independent unions unconnected with the NEA or AFT reproduce all the same services of Free to Teach the major unions without the middleman or large overhead costs. For example, the Roscommon Teachers’ Association in Michigan cut ties with the NEA in 2012, and was promptly able to reduce union dues from $980 to $600 per teacher, per year. The union uses its dues to keep a labor attorney on retainer to handle workplace issues and grievances. Teachers who resign from the PSEA or AFT-PA can opt to reconstitute as a local-only union and recreate the same kind of collective services. Without a local-only union, teachers may opt to pool their money and hire their own labor attorney for day-to-day representation, but your collective bargaining agreement may prohibit such an avenue.

Got questions? We’re here to help!

Contact Free to Teach at 833-969-FAIR (3247) or Info@FreetoTeach.org

Learn more about our community

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.