about us
become a member
Your Options
Log Out

Q: How Do I Resign From My Union


Updated July 2018

Following the U.S. Supreme Court ruling in Janus v. AFSCME on June 27, 2018, agency fee payers in government no longer have pay fair share fees to their workplace union. Your workplace should have already halted such payments.  If not, or if you’re unsure if that update has been made, please contact your payroll/human resources department to ensure fee payments to unions stop immediately.  If you need assistance on this, get in touch with Free to Teach’s parent organization, Americans for Fair Treatment at 833-969-FAIR (3247), or at info@freetoteach.org.

Here is a sample union resignation letter to the PSEA, which represents teachers in most of Pennsylvania’s school districts.

Your collective bargaining agreement may contain a “maintenance of membership” requirement, which usually permits resignation from the union only within a narrow window before the end of your contract. Legal experts, however, believe that maintenance of membership provisions may be subject to legal challenge. If you’re interested in making such a challenge, please contact Free to Teach.

For questions, contact Free to Teach at info@freetoteach.org.

Learn more about our community

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.